Sunday 2 April 2023

Following in the Footsteps of Other Pilgrims

I'm not a big fan of re-inventing the wheel. And something like the Camino... there are a lot of already invented wheels out there!! I figure it's just smart and savvy for me to tap into their experiences and learn something. My first stop... the local library!!

I scrolled through the local library catalogue and ordered a few books to read about the Camino. There are a LOT of books listed!!! I eventually settled on one by Roxey Edwards - To Each Their Own Camino: One Woman's Walk Along Spain's Camino de Santiago (available on Amazon). It was published in 2018 and had one glowing review in the library system. And it was available! 

I picked it up the other day and am well into it already! Roxey has a nice writing style that is easy to read and engaging. I've got my Camino guidebook open next me as I read Roxey's book, so I can follow along on her journey.

I have learned tonnes already - like breakfasts in the albuergues are not what one would expect (hot drink, toast, jam) with zero protein. Huh... going to have to think about that! Roxey's only on Day 3 of her pilgrimage, so I'm hoping I'll learn a bit more about how to survive the scanty breakfasts. I've also learned that earplugs and sleeping masks are an absolute necessity. She also got me thinking about a pillow... apparently the albuergues supply pillows but their quality varies and... my neck is sensitive. So it might be time to investigage some inflatable pillows...

And a triple bonus... Roxey actually lives here on Vancouver Island, a 40 minute drive from where I live. At some point... I might reach out to her. She did the same when she was planning her Camino in 2016. Found a local retired day-care operator who had done the Camino and became Roxey's mentor.  I love the idea of paying it forward... 

And while I was tempted to order multiple Camino books all at once... I resisted the urge... small steps... just small steps!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment