Sunday 26 March 2023

The Virtual Postcards of the Virtual Camino - Mar 26

I love getting mail!! But nowadays... the only mail we tend to get is junk mail. Nobody sends real mail anymore! So I was a bit excited when I signed up for the Virtual Camino trek (through The Conqueror Challenges) to learn that I would receive 14 postcards on my epic adventure.

Turns out they're not not "real" postcards. They are virtual postcards. And they are not "to" me, but "from" me... which is kind of odd. Sending myself virtual postcards?

Although... maybe the idea is that I send them on to my friends and family? Or post them on Facebook? Huh... never thought of that! 

The first postcard I received was from St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port - the starting point of the 800 km Camino Frances.

My rusty French would translate St. Jean-Pied-de-Port as St. John Foot of Bridge (or Bridge of Foot). But it actually translates as St. John Foot Pass. Which makes sense as this place is the starting point of the Camino... and pilgrims have been coming through here for over 1000 years.

The postcard says:

Bonjour,

I made it to the start line and I'm ready to begin my 480 mi journey to Santiago, walking in the footsteps of the past.

Time to start counting down the miles. See you at the next stop.

So... maybe I will post that on my Facebook feed... although it is a bit out of date now!

The second postcard came less than a week later.

This one says:

Phew, that was such a rigorous hike, it just kept going up and up and up for a full 12.5 mi. My legs are wobbly but enjoyed walking in the footsteps of Napoleon and Charlemagne. I think I'll have a nice long rest in Roncesvalles.

I completely missed Roncesvalles as I did my daily walks. Although... as I write this... I am coming up to Pamplona, famous for the running of the bulls. And it turned up... right on time!

This postcard says:

Hola Giselle! (addressed to me?? from me??)
Whose bright idea was it to go running with the bulls? It was the longest 800m of my life. Next time more sprint training first.
Ole!
Giselle

Meh... given that I am doing this in February/March and the running of the bulls takes places in September... this doesn't seem like an appropriate postcard! Hmph...

And... another postcard came on Feb 14! I was apparently trekking through Estella at that point.

I must admit, I do like receiving these postcards. They help to make the experience a bit more exciting.

And it's nice to see some of the places that I am virtually hiking through.

That bridge over the river in Estella looks super cute! I'm not sure how fast I would be able to do the Camino if I kept stopping all the time to take photographs!!

And... just last week, I inched my way through LogroƱo. My pace has slowed quite a bit what with various other life commitments. But as the weather gets nicer... and the sun gets up earlier, I am hoping that I can reinstate an early morning hike, which should really help my mileage. I am coming ever closer to Burgos and am about 30% of the way through the Camino. Small steps make a difference!

I haven't given too much thought to what to eat along the Camino. As a person with gluten intolerance... and who is trying to eat less meat... I think this might be an issue. But the food looks sooooo yummy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment