Wednesday 19 April 2023

The Power of Saying No: Making a Sustainable Choice at the Dentist

When I left the dentist last week, I walked out the door carrying a little paper bag with the usual freebies - a toothbrush, a small box of toothpaste and a little pack of dental floss.

I was a big grumbly though... because once I got home, I took the stuff out of the bag and then promptly tossed the bag into recycling.

Now this was partly on me, because when my hygienist asked me if I wanted a toothbrush and stuff, I said yes.

I watched her open the drawer and select the brush, the toothpaste and the dental floss. I was thinking to myself... "No, I don't want the dental floss". But did I say that out loud? No, I did not. And while I was musing over that inability and trying to get my mouth to work, she handed the stuff to me in a little paper bag. "No, I don't need a paper bag." Did I say that out loud? Nope, I did not!

And so I came home... tossed the paper bag in recycling and threw the dental floss into the back of my bathroom drawer where it will sit for a very long time, nestled in with a whole host of its cousins. Oh, I do use floss on occasion, when I get something stuck in my teeth, but I'm more of a water-pik person. Sometimes I'll use those little tooth-pickers with the bit of floss in a plastic handle, but dental floss... not really.

I do have to admit, the dentist has at last switched from plastic bags to paper bags, so that is a step forward. But still... aren't all of these little bags a cost for them? No... probably not. I'm sure that the toothpaste, toothbrush and floss companies give them all this stuff for free. And the bags are probably sponsored as well.

I'm not sure why I'm unable to voice my preference when I'm there. I think it's because I have to have the whole conversation in my head first... about not wanting the floss. 

And to be honest, I wasn't expecting it to come in a bag. I think I've walked out of there before with no bag. So part of it was me being caught by surprise but... this inability to say "no" is perplexing to me.

Is it because the stuff is free? Don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth? I mean I do use the toothbrush... and the toothpaste. So those are cool. Maybe next time I'll say... "Hey, can you keep the floss and give me two of those little toothpastes instead?"

Or maybe I'm afraid of her frown of disapproval as I decline the dental floss? You know dental folk... they always want to know if you're flossing! That might be closer to the truth. Ugh! I don't want to get into a discussion about whether or not I floss regularly. I don't want to see her frown of disapproval (behind her mask). I want to keep pretending that I'm a good dental patient who flosses regularly. But whyyyyyy????!!!! Enough of this pretending!

Next time I will be prepared!

Hygienist: "Do you want a toothbrush?"
Me; "Thank you, yes! Could I please have a toothbrush and two toothpastes. No floss. And no bag please."

Forewarned is forearmed! Small steps... one word at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment