Sunday 18 June 2023

Update on the Virtual Camino

As regular readers of this blog might recall... I started a Virtual Camino (one of The Conqueror challenges) in late January. As I write this, it is late May... so 4 months since I started the virtual 800 km trek to Santiago de Compostela. I'd like to be able to say that I am further along than I am... but I am not!

I got derailed from my virtual Camino in late March. Came down with a cold which completely knocked me out. And then we went on a road trip and... and... and... I've only been doing one walk a day and that might net me 3 km or so... at this rate... I'll be inching my way along the Camino 4 months from now!

As it stands though... I am 45% of the way to Santiago, which isn't bad.

And, so far, I'm not going to run out of time either, although I could definitely speed it up a bit.

When I passed the 40% mark, a tree was planted by Eden Reforestation Projects on my behalf!! Which is kind of cool... I think I get another tree at the 60% mark. I also received some virtual postcards as I inched along...

Atapuerca is sight of some ancient neolithic remains (1,000,000 years old), which is kind of cool.


And then I received one from the city of Burgos. It sounds like a beautiful city and all I really know about it is the role it played in the Peninsular War in the early 1800s! Thank you Bernard Cornwell and the Sharpe book series!

I had this idea that I would be clicking off 10 km a day here at home and that I could do the virtual Camino handily in 3 months but... that's obviously not the case. Life has gotten in the way. Or I've gotten distracted by life.

I could definitely add in an early morning walk, especially as it is now almost the height of summer and the days are long and start early! Perhaps I'll get myself in gear. Even walking to a nearby coffee shop (30 min walk) and back would work. Although... I did try the nearest "coffee shop" that opens early (McDonald's... ick) and although it says that it opens at 5 am... nope. It was not open at 5 am! So I need to rethink that... 

Anyhow... one step at a time. Every step counts and that's really all that matters. I'm moving forward slowly and that's OK too. It's the journey that matters... not how fast one gets there.

No comments:

Post a Comment