Monday 18 December 2023

Upcycling Old Christmas Cards - Tacky? Frugal? Creative?

I always feel sad when I toss old Christmas cards. I feel as if I am somehow tossing the person who sent it... or the sentiment (care, thoughtfulness) with which it was sent. I know I'm not. And yet I still feel vaguely sad and a touch guilty. As if the Christmas Card Police are going to break down my door and arrest me for not appreciating the season!

We've received some Christmas cards this season and already... I look at the cards and wonder... Will we toss? Not toss? Toss? It feels like such a waste of paper.

Some are easy. Like the one pictured here. It's from the paving company so there is zero emotional attachment. But it's also a card with "glitter" all over it which means it is most definitely NOT recyclable. So it is destined for the garbage. Which seems like such a waste.

And then I wonder... could we not reuse these cards? If nothing is written on the inside cover of the card... could we not cut it away from the back and then... glue it to some new card stock and make a brand new card?

Or is that considered tacky? And will Miss Manners now break down my door with a scandalized cry of "Sooooo tacky!!!" I don't think it's tacky. But that's me... I tend to think it's creative, eco-friendly, frugal, thrifty, and just makes good sense.

So I went to ChatGPT and asked if it was tacky... and the response was... it depends. On the recipient. While some people might appreciate the eco-conciousness behind the gesture, others would prefer new store-bought cards.

Ummmm... is it not the thought that counts? I know, I know... that's a loaded term. But... seriously? Some folks prefer new, store-bought cards? Well... that's not us. And if some of our card recipients are huddled under that umbrella... all I got to say is... tough noogies (basically... "too bad").

I am not going to buy cards based on the preferences of the recipients. And who even knows the preferences of their Christmas card recipients? It's not like my address book has a note that says "prefers new, store-bought card" or "do not send a card purchased in a Dollar Store or thrift shop".

Meh. I am in development with not living my life according to the opinions of others. And if others think less of us for receiving a re-used, upcycled Christmas card, then so be it. Maybe I'll put a little sticker on the back that says:

This card has been recycled, repurposed and upcycled.

Oh, and if anyone wants to send us an upcycled card... much appreciated!! And if it's a super crafty card... and you don't write on the inside front cover... we'll be happy to give it a second life next year and share it with someone else!

Look, I know some people go to town with their craft supplies... ribbons, sparkle, shaped hole punches... we don't have that. And I don't have the time for that. What I do have is a pair of scissors and a glue stick... let the cutting and pasting begin!

Orrrr... maybe it's just cutting? Why not just... cut off the front of the used Christmas card and turn it into a Christmas postcard?? No need for extra card stock. No need for glue sticks. No need for an envelope! Win, win, win!!!

Time will tell... but I'm eyeing these Christmas cards and weighing my options.

No comments:

Post a Comment