Thursday 12 November 2020

I'm a Hero

It's official... I am a Hero. I would actually prefer "Heroine" but... right now I'll take what I can get. It was Remembrance Day yesterday and I saved two lives, maybe even three. Nope, didn't risk my life running into a burning building or drag someone out of a motor vehicle accident.

All I did was sit in a chair with my legs up and let a phlebotomist poke me with a needle and draw some of my blood for 10 minutes. Yup... that's it... that easy. It's a pretty low bar to getting the "Hero" label... and I'm surprised that more people don't give it a whirl.

I asked a nurse, "Why don't more people donate blood?". Number One reason - They are afraid of needles. Afraid of seeing their life blood flow out of their arms and down into the pouch. I get it... needles aren't any fun and the ones that Canadian Blood Services use are larger than the ones from the medical labs. But, seriously, it's only a brief pinch and you don't even have to watch...

I did some more digging and here are some of the other top reasons why people don't donate blood. I borrowed this list (and tweaked it) from the University of Maryland Medical Centre website:

  1. I don't like or am scared of needles; I am afraid to give blood. - Many people feel that way at first. However, most donors will tell you that you feel only a slight initial pinch, and 7-10 minutes later, you are finished and headed for the snack table. If you take the time (and courage) to make one donation, you'll wonder why you ever hesitated.
  2. Others are donating enough. -  Nope. Only 4% of eligible Canadians actually donate blood (about 750,000). Of those, only about 400,000 donate blood on a regular basis. In reality, 50% of Canadians are eligible to donate (18,500,000). Canadian Blood Services currently has a 5-7 day supply of most blood types. There is never enough blood. Oh, and 52 per cent of the population reports that they or their family members have needed blood donations at one point in their lives. Huh...
  3. I am too busy. - The entire process takes about an hour, and the actual blood donation time is only 7-10 minutes. If you stop to think that an hour of your time could mean a lifetime for a premature baby, someone with cancer undergoing chemotherapy, someone who's had an accident, or a woman who's given birth, you might decide that you can make the time to give the gift of life. You can even ask yourself... do you know someone who has ever received a blood donation? Weren't you grateful to the anonymous individual who took an hour out of their day and braved the needle to donate a pint of their life blood? You can return the favour to someone else. It's a nice little version of Pay it Forward.
  4. No-one ever asked me ... I didn't realize my blood was needed. - Consider yourself asked! There is simply no other way to supply the blood needs of hospital patients but for the generous donations of people like you. Every two seconds someone in Canada needs blood.
  5. I already gave this year. - Men can give every 56 days and women can give ever 84 days. Many donors give 4-5 times a year!
  6. I am afraid I'll get AIDS. - It is not possible to get AIDS by donating blood to Canadian Blood Services. A new sterile needle is used for each donor and discarded afterwards. Trust me... they are super careful with each precious donor.
  7. My blood isn't the right type. - Every type of blood is needed daily to meet patient needs. If you have a common blood type, there are many patients who need it, so it is in high demand. If you have a less common blood type, there are fewer donors available to give it, so it is in short supply.
  8. I don't have any blood to spare. - The average adult body has 10-12 pints of blood. Doctors say that healthy adults may give regularly because the body quickly replaces the blood you donate.
  9. I don't want to feel weak afterward. - Donating blood should not adversely affect a healthy adult because your body has plenty of blood. You will donate less than one pint, and your body, which constantly makes new blood, will replace the donated volume within 24 hours. Most people continue their usual activities after donating. Just don't drink alcohol after donating - not even that evening - trust me... not a good idea! Drink lots of water though! And... listen to the nurses when they tell you not to do any heavy lifting. Not even a grocery bag. Unless you want a spectacular bruise on your arm.
  10. They won't want my blood. (I am too old. / I've had an illness.) - If you have doubts, check with your physician. The qualified staff on duty at a blood drive will also review your medical history with you. There is no upper age limit to donate blood with Canadian Red Cross, and a great many medical conditions do not prevent you from donating blood, or may have done so only temporarily in the past.
  11. I have a rare blood type, so I'll wait until there is a special need. - Blood that is rare or special is almost always in short supply. There is a constant need for these blood types in order to avoid having to recruit specific blood types in a crisis.

Now there are some things that do disqualify you from donating blood - Did you get a body piercing recently? Do you have a new sexual partner? Are you underweight? Are you under the age of 17? Are you a drug addict? Are you anemic? Traveled outside Canada in the last 14 days? These are some of the reason why you legitimately are excused from donating blood. There are others... like working with monkeys, or having Ebola, or some other weird diseases. The nurses go through all that stuff with you in the pre-screening session. And a lot of these are simply deferrals... you might not be able to donate this time but... there's always next time.

Plus, they've stream-lined the intake procedure - you can fill out the pre-donation questionnaire online and get a Q-code that you just scan when you arrive.

Which means you get to complete the "lifestyle" questions on your own instead of being asked them by a nurse... here's a sample of some of the questions...

  • In the last 6 months have you had sex with a sex trade worker or anyone else who has taken money or drugs for sex?
  • In the last 6 months have you had sex with anyone who has ever taken illegal drugs with a needle?
  • In the last 6 months have you taken money or drugs for sex?
  • In the last 6 months have you taken illegal drugs with a needle even one time?
  • In the last 6 months have you had sex with anyone who has HIV/AIDS or has tested positive for the HIV/AIDS virus?
  • In the last 6 months have you taken care of or handled monkeys or their body fluids as part of your job?

And... you get to eat a salty snack before the donation (Hello, potato chips my old friend!) and a sweet snack (Good afternoon chocolate chip cookies!) and not feel an iota of guilt!! Plus... you get a sticker which says: "Be Nice to Me, I Gave Blood Today". Might come in handy at home...

So... what are you waiting for?? Be a Hero!! Save a Life... or Two... or Three! You have it within you. You have the Gift of Life. Why not share it with others? It's a small step for you that could be a huge step for someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment