Monday 23 October 2023

Sugar Detox (Again!)

I'm on Day 3 of my latest Sugar Detox and it's not fun. Aside from the cravings, I also have a headache, feel lethargic and unmotivated and am distressingly moody. I just want sugar. A brownie... anything to make this go away.

I keep telling myself that it "this too shall pass" and I wonder... why? Why do I keep putting myself through this? I know why... because once I get through the sugar detox doldrums, I feel great! And as the days and weeks of me feeling great go by... I start to think... I can have a brownie here and there... And then... I am back in a full-blown sugar binge.

So, as I sit here in Starbucks... I ask myself the age old question... when will I learn this life lesson? How many times do I have to come back to this point before I finally "get it"? I would hope that this is the last time. My age, my weight, my family history, my thyroid condition... all tell me that sugar is NOT good for me. So just stop. Let the buck stop here. Let the sugar detox end in March 2023.

Since this is being posted in late October... I can include a post script to let you know how this all shook out in the end. Did I make it my last sugar detox or... am I doomed to repeat this yet again. I certainly hope not because it is quite gross. I'm at the point where I wonder if I am going through some health crisis. I know it's just sugar detox but... sometimes it feels so much more than that. My mood is in the toilet. I can barely get myself motivated to do anything. Blech. 

Here's a blurb about sugar withdrawal:

"The symptoms of sugar withdrawal include headaches, decreased energy, an inability to concentrate and mood changes. Although it’s not completely understood why these side effects occur, research shows it's likely linked to the impact sugar intake has on our brain chemistry.

Eating sugar triggers a release of different chemicals, including endorphins - which boost your mood and reduce pain - and dopamine, which is linked to pleasure, satisfaction and reward. Sugar stimulates the brain's reward system and ultimately, it makes us feel good - so we are likely to want to eat more sugary food and drinks.

These kinds of changes can lead to dependence and addiction2. Therefore, giving sugar up may trigger unwanted side effects."

Or how about this one:

"It's during this early "sugar withdrawal" stage that both mental and physical symptoms have been reported – including depression, anxiety, brain fog and cravings, alongside headaches, fatigue and dizziness. This means giving up sugar can feel unpleasant, both mentally and physically, which may make it difficult for some to stick with the diet change."

These little blurbs make me feel slightly better. I can see myself in all of these symptoms... and I just have to make it through the first week before I know I will start feeling better. So... stay the course... and remember this for next time... Sugar Detox is no fun and I really don't want to keep repeating this.

PostScript - October 26, 2023

Yeah... we all know how this sugar detox ended. Another brownie splurge! And once you have one brownie, it is a slippery slope. But as I write this, I am trying something new and different. I consulted ChatGPT (the AI) for some ideas and it actually came up with a good one that I have not tried yet... I'll blog about it in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment