Saturday 2 September 2023

Through the Worst of the Sugar Detox Symptoms?

 The first three days of the sugar detox were the worst...

  • foggy thinking
  • tired/fatigued
  • overheating at night
  • moodiness
  • emotional
  • lack of motivation
  • overwhelmed
  • irritable and reactionary
  • headache
  • dizzy/lightheaded


But, as the first rays of Day 4 break over the horizon, I think I might be through the worst of it. I'm sitting in Starbucks and while I looked longingly at the chocolate brownies in the display case... I reminded myself of what I'd just endured and... I passed.

The struggle of the last few days is too fresh in my mind right now to even consider munching on a sugar-filled treat. I just wish that I could remember the struggle 2 months from now. The truth is, I seem to have short-term memory for this sort of stuff. Once something is more than a month in the past, the sharp edges tend to blur and I think... "It wasn't that bad." But it was. It is.

And so I thought I would document this... if not for posterity... then at least for me. So that I can remember how bad it was. I honestly feel like something is seriously wrong with me when I am going through the first days of the detox. I feel sooooo very unlike myself that I think I have lost my mojo... lost my brain power. It's not a pleasant feeling. I remind myself that this too shall pass but honestly... when I'm in the middle of it, I really doubt that!

These last few days, I have been trying different things to combat the sugar detox doldrums. I've been adding in some regular snacks - things like an apple with some almond butter, or an orange with some nuts. Sometimes I'll have a hard-boiled egg. I'm also going grocery shopping today, so going to get some hummus to snack on - along with some carrots, celery sticks, cukes or peppers. That mix of complex carbs and protein is so important. Giving my body food that will release energy slowly, over time, rather than an immediate gratification hit of refined sugars or even simple sugars like fructose without the protein.

I've read elsewhere that it's a good idea to keep a food diary for a while... I'm not sure that I'm up for that right now. I've got enough stuff on my plate at this point. But maybe once the worst of the sugar doldrums are done with... then I can look at that.

I know that the coming days/week are going to be hard. I might be through the worst of the sugar withdrawal symptoms but... the cravings are still there, and will come on hard and heavy in the coming weeks. If I can just remember these detox symptoms... I'm hoping to weather the storm.

It's funny... because before I stopped drinking Coke for good back in 2009, I had tried kicking the habit many times. Suffering through intense headaches for days afterwards. But, inevitably, I would start drinking it again. This time... I'm hoping that I can stay the course and finally choose my health over my cravings.

No comments:

Post a Comment