Wednesday 1 February 2023

Getting Back into the Habit of BYO

Over three years of Covid-19 has really done a number on my habit of bringing reusable cups, cutlery, containers, etc when I go out in to the world. I was just developing that habit when Covid hit and... well... all of my good habits, just in their infancy, got tossed out with the bathwater.

And now... I'm back to square one and trying to get myself back into the habit of remembering to bring things!

Cutlery

I do have reusable cutlery down pat though. I have a ziploc bag in my backpack that contains a plastic fork, knife and spoon. These are sturdy plastic camping cutlery... none of that wubbly stuff that you get with take-out meals. So, when I go to Starbucks and have a brownie (yes, yes, I know... they are packed with sugar and fat... still working on my chocolate addiction)... I ask for it on a plate and use my own fork. Now... to be fair to Starbucks, they have migrated away from flimsy plastic forks packaged in plastic. They now offer very thin, disposable wooden forks. Which is waaayyyy better than plastic... I would think... although I'm not 100% sure on that. But... they are still "disposable" which is not the best. Soooo... Yay Me! For remembering to bring disposable cutlery.

Cups

Now... the last few months, going back to Starbucks after a lengthy Covid hiatus, I've been ordering my tea quite happily and it got served to me in a disposable cup. And then one day, I saw someone using a reusable cup and... I realized I must have missed that memo! When did they go back to allowing you to bring your own cup???

So... I rummaged through the kitchen cupboards and dusted off my reusable mug and put it in a prominent place by the door where I wouldn't forget it. So far, I've been doing OK with remembering to bring it. Then, it's just a matter of remembering to rinse it out at home and return it to the door staging area so I'll grab it next time I head out...

Although... I'm wondering if perhaps I should keep a resuable cup in the car, as a back-up. That might be a good idea actually... because then, if I do forget it... I have a backup! Although... I would still have to remember to wash the backup and return it to the car. But that seems more manageable somehow. Something to consider.

I've also been wondering if perhaps we should invest in some tall cold-drink cups, you know... the ones that soft drinks come in, with the lid that has a hole in it. I know that Starbucks sells them by the dozens but I'm sure I could find some in a thrift store. They'd be great for... let's see... on the ferry or at the movie theatre. Both places have drink dispensers and this would be a great way to avoid a disposable drink cup.

Oh... and yes, Starbucks does provide ceramic mugs for those who are staying in the store but... honestly... the tea/coffee/hot chocolate gets cold waaaayyy quicker in those. Some baristas will fill it with hot water first to try and warm up the ceramic but that honestly doesn't make much of a difference and just wastes water. It would be cool if Starbucks had a mug warmer... like A&W has a mug cooler! Maybe some day...

Water Bottle

I've got this one down. I have a series of metal water bottles that I try to bring with me on various adventures - whether in my office back-pack, my hiking back-pack or just in the car. The trick... always... is to remember it! My partner and I used to have a check-list we would call out as we left the house... pillow, pills, purse, phone, water! This was during her recovery from a broken tail-bone... But perhaps I could have my own checklist. I can't tell you how many times I've left the house without my wallet, only to arrive at the store and go to pay and... bugger!! One of the reasons why I put a credit card into Google Wallet on my phone. Anyhow... my check-list could read something like: cup, cutlery phone, wallet, water - CCPWW. 

Straws

We received a set of metal straws from a Secret Santa a few years ago. They are of varying widths and come in a nice drawstring canvas bag. They are tucked in the back of the cutlery drawer waiting to be used. Which strikes me as not being a super helpful location. We aren't big fans of drinks requiring straws... other than when we go to the movies. Perhaps we should keep the metal straws in the glove compartment of the car? They would be far more convenient there. And when my niece comes over and drags us off to a movie... we would all have straws to use... rather than those flimsy paper straws that the movie theatre gives out. And we could bring our own cold-drink cups too!!!

Napkins

I came across this idea on another blog. Bring your own napkins, rather than using disposable paper napkins. Hmmm... never thought of that. But it does make sense... I think again, of when we go to the movie theatre... we go through quite a few paper napkins. But we could easily bring our own cloth napkins. Although, to be honest... we don't have a lot of those. But I'm sure I could track down a bundle at one of the thrift stores. Me thinks we are going to need a back-pack to go to the theatre!

Towels

Now this strikes me as being quite radical. Bring your own hand towel so you don't use the disposable paper towels in public rest rooms. I'd never thought of doing this... I know Starbucks has those forced air hand dryers. But BC Ferries has paper towel dispensers. Hmmm... is it doable? A regular hand towel is quite bulky and I can just see my office back-pack bulging with napkins, straws, cups, water bottles and now hand towels. Not to mention laptop, etc. But... there are microfibre type towels that are super absorbent and quite un-bulky.  Or traveling towels.

I actually found a microfibre towelette on a hike once (and took it home). It's not huge (22 cm x 45 cm) but... it is quite compact and I could bring that with me in my office backpack. It's currently riding around in my hiking backpack but I never use it there... so it's time to transfer it. The cool thing with them is they are super absorbent and dry very quickly.

Bags

Well, this is a no-brainer and now that you have to pay for paper bags in stores, there is a monetary incentive not to forget your bags in the car! I'd rather leave my groceries in the buggie while I run out to the car for my bags, than pay $$ for paper bags. Hmph!

BYO... one Small Step

It might not seem like much but... I truly believe that every small step makes a difference. And... if people see us bringing our own cups or napkins or water bottles... they might be inspired to do the same. We never know how our actions and behaviour might have an impact on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment